Thursday, January 7, 2016

Curses

It's been an alarmingly exciting week here at My Home Library. Coworker: "Earlier today I had to ask a woman who was speaking French loudly in the children's section to keep her voice down. I just saw her at a computer with her jacket over her head. Turns on she was putting curses on people."


Fortunately, it turns out that we can fit voodoo under our Patron Code of Conduct Policy ('conduct likely to disturb other patrons or interfere with their use of the library').


Not to mention my own patrons this evening:


Where are the psychology books?
Is there a specific topic you're looking for?
Uh, you know, brains?


Phone call: Can you go to this website and try putting in my email address and password?


Receive permission from my boss to relocate a plant by the elevator. I've now seen not one, but two people in wheelchairs have to sort of crash through the foliage in order to hit the elevator button. I hope it does okay in its new home.


The library in a nearby city that is wealthier and more educated than ours is closed for remodeling. We've started seeing a lot of their patrons trying to use us as a substitute. One has a meltdown over our printing system (she's trying to print $30 worth of documents, and we're just not set up for that). A central theme of her rant is how things work at the Other City Library and how much better it is. She reminded me of Phoebe from The TV show The Magic School Bus: "At my old school..."

7 comments:

  1. "Uh...BRAINS!" do you have zombies at your library in addition to voodoo queens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that guy. We do have a few patrons who shamble to the computers every morning, stare at them in a trace-like state for three hours, and then shamble out, though. Does that count?

      Delete
  2. who prints $30 worth of documents at a public library? sheesh, go to Fedex/Kinkos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. patrons with coats over their heads=trouble

    ReplyDelete