Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Life as a children's librarian

I've got to figure out how to make a kid and a bird out of flannel, ideally by a week from today. My new best work friend, the children's library assistant, offered to help me, but in exchange I had to promise not to reveal the location of her existing flannel sets. She says she'd prefer to keep them hidden in her desk drawer because sometimes other people borrow them and don't return all the pieces and making a flannel is hard work, man!


Why do people do such a bad job weeding children's nonfiction? I am trying to put together a display for 'Computer Learning Month' and I have to withdraw three pre-2010 books about the internet. Ugh.


We need a copy of our program calendar in Spanish. Or at least we need to label the days of the week in both languages.


I write a proposal for a program that is just kids playing board games. But I promise it will contribute to our library's mission of supporting kids' education because board games allow kids to practice important skills like:
  • Sportsmanship
  • Strategic thinking
  • Prediction/statistical reasoning
  • Rule-following
  • Pattern detection
I think I am starting to figure this stuff out.

5 comments:

  1. My library has the world's oldest flannels, I'm sure of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently they are worth hoarding since they are hard to make! Unless they are dusty and gross, obviously.

      Delete
    2. they are so faded they look sad

      Delete
  2. Nobody weeds childrens nonfiction, so it's old and boring looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job making kids see the library as valuable, librarians!

      Grrrrr.

      Delete