Tuesday, September 5, 2017

New job

Good news, everyone! I had scheduled blog posts out through August mainly just because the number I had written spread neatly over that length of time rather than because I realistically thought I would have a job by September, but I am starting at a new library next week!

I haven't come up with a nom-de-blog for New Library yet (I think I'll need to get to know it a bit better first) but the striking thing about it is that I'll be working in its children's department. It's a small library so I'm sure there will be a lot of cross-over, but I'll be doing kid's programs and things and doing some extra chatting to small children and their parents. I expect that that will make for good blog material.

I didn't specifically seek out a children's librarian job--instead, I wanted to work at this particular branch of Sprawling Metropolitan System because it's in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the country, so the materials and services that the library is providing access to are really, really important to the people living there. I'm not sure if I'll make a good children's librarian or not, so if any of you have tips or resources to suggest, I would be grateful!

 

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new gig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! ... our children's librarian says the key to success is deep-breathing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Thanks for the encouragement...and for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Great, so it's full-time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you to have a FT job! I've been doing 2 PTs for way too long but no one in our system is moving :>(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is my first non-PT situation ever. I'm pretty excited.

      Delete
  5. I love working with the kids and hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete