Saturday, January 12, 2013

Dewey Decimal merit badge

Today I was interviewed by a boy scout about the library! Some of his questions were:
-How has the library been affected by budget cuts, and how have you personally been affected?
-What can 'we' (boy scots, I guess) do to help the library with budget cuts?
-What are volunteer opportunites for young people at the library?

These are pretty easy questions. I tried to emphasize that the most important thing you can do to support the library is to use it--the more you visit the library, the more books and movies you check out, and the more classes and programs you come to, the more we can go to the people who control the purse strings and say 'hey, people are using this service, how about you fund it more fully?'

I thought this was an impressively 21st-century merit badge. I am not sure, but I suspect it was the Citizenship in the Community badge. If you think you can do better with a guess, check out http://www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx for a full list of badges.

(I hope I don't get in trouble with the city PR people for giving an unauthorized 'interview.' Don't tell them what I told you.)

3 comments:

  1. Heh. I would love to make up some fake badges. But anyway, I won't tell anyone that you are speaking for The City now!

    ReplyDelete