Friday, January 6, 2017

Visiting the West Side

Downtown Library closed for renovations on the first of the year and the powers that be have dispersed its staff, including me, to other branches in the system for the next couple of months while the construction workers and the movers work on the library. I was assigned to West Side Branch, along with Seamus from Security and a couple of pages and clerks. West Side Branch is one of the closest ones to Downtown and is on a lot of bus routes, so I have been seeing a lot of my old regulars here.


My first shift was earlier this week and I immediately spotted Janis, Giant Headphones Guy, Local University Regalia Guy, Online Class Gentleman, and even Mr. Timmons, who stopped by the desk to greet me, give me a lollipop (he brings his own candy), and tell me "Have you used the bathrooms here yet? Look out, it's like the toilet flushers have a kick!"


Seamus also stopped by to check in. He told me he'd helped Janis get set up on a computer and gave the verdict "This place seems a lot like Downtown. Mostly good but each with their own set of problem patrons. I'm already getting to know them."


Right now I am on the Youth desk watching a toddler contentedly chew on the rubber protector that holds one of our early literacy iPads. I'm glad that here, unlike at Downtown, it's going to be someone else's job to put those away at closing time.

6 comments:

  1. does this branch even have room for you all? are the cultures colliding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all part-time (hooray for modern workplaces, right?) so that makes a difference.

      Fortunately I really like the manager of this branch, possibly more than I like the manager of my own branch. So I at least feel I'm fitting in okay.

      Delete
  2. http://librarianproblems.com/post/155463973626/sticky-childrens-books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Those poor, poor children's librarians.

      Delete
  3. Are your regulars handling it okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than I expected! Although I fear that's selection bias, since I only see the people who made it into the West Side Branch, not the ones milling around outside the shuttered Downtown Library in confusion.

      Delete