Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Annoyances

Since library workers tend to like control and to be kind of perfectionists, I suspect our workplaces are a little more filled with conflict (mostly passive-aggressive conflict) over the office environment than average. I try to not get emotionally invested because not only is that unproductive, in my experience public libraries are actually more collegial overall than other workplaces (my theory is that rude patrons are a collective enemy who make us see each other as allies and fellow sufferers).


Normally I am pretty successful at not caring. However, it so happens that I am the one who bought the most recent two bottles of dish detergent. The first one I bought was friendly to the environment brand that is as effective as any other dish soap but develops a hard cap of soap if it goes unused for a couple of days. The second was a cheap store brand bottle from the dollar store across the street. When I first got it, I put the second, unopened bottle right next to the open bottle on the counter so that people would know there was a spare when the open one ran out. Within a day someone had opened the new bottle, presumably because they didn't like spending the extra two seconds to get the first bottle to squirt. I admit that drove me a little crazy.


Do you have any pet peeves or petty frustrations in your library or office environment at the moment?

4 comments:

  1. Our shared fridge is always a source of conflict and passive/aggressive behavior --We let the student workers use it but one of our tech services people patrols to make sure their stuff is only in the little box set up for them, so she's always sending emails to staff asking who's is the grape soda or whatever

    ReplyDelete
  2. a co-worker who hides the stapler? beca?se she doesn't like students using it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. co-irker cutting her fingernails at the desk

    ReplyDelete