Monday, February 5, 2018

Entrepreneur


Businesses I daydream about starting on a quiet desk shift:


Weeding consultant firm: Do your librarians cling on to worn fiction or dusty reference books? Send in our company to pry the obsolete materials from their death grips and make your collection relevant, modern, and attractive!


Off-brand Geek Squad (I think they are limiting their market by only helping people who buy new Best Buy products): I am here to teach your grandma how to use the hand-me-down second generation Kindle that she just got when her grandchild got a new one for Christmas, and I promise to never roll my eyes!


Device lending library for libraries: Do you need your staff to practice with the latest iPhone, but pay them so poorly that none of them own one? Borrow one for a month from our rental service for a reasonable price, rather than buying a full-price gadget that will only be used for six months and then stored forever and ever in a locked cabinet in the branch manager's office!





3 comments:

  1. YES! I don't know how we're supposed to support the public with all the new phones and tablets when we're stuck in 2008 because we make librarian money

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third-party weeding might be a good idea for those disfunctional libraries where it gets personal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idea #2 --the old people wouldn't pay for it, but I bet their kids will

    ReplyDelete