Monday, February 19, 2018

On the way...

I haven't updated in a while because a typical shift lately has been like today's.

Arrive at noon, see that our flag is flying full-staff despite a presidential proclamation to lower flags to honor the victims of the latest school shooting. Lower flag. Answer 1 or 2 emails, delete 10 other emails from my boss that just say "thank you for keeping me informed"--she obviously read some management advice book that tells you to acknowledge every single email your employees send you, but I don't think it's helping. Interrupted by a coworker--what do I do if someone wants to sign up for GED class, again? Grab magazines to use in my English Conversation Practice program, then do that program, which is the highlight of my day.

Sidetracked on my way back to the staff area to translate for a non-Spanish-speaking colleague. In the back, prep notes for the teachers who teach the Saturday English classes. Interrupted twice to troubleshoot computer problems for a woman who is applying for a job...to work at the library. Wonder if I should tell her that she is wasting her time because they won't hire someone without more computer skills, chicken out as usual.

On the way back from helping her, another patron calls me over--"this won't print!" I stop by the desk to borrow a loaner flash drive, and a patron needs me to check in his DVDs so he can check out more.

On the way back from helping the patron who needed the flash drive, notice that someone has left feces on the floor in two different places.

On the way to the janitor's closet for some cones, another English teacher needs to know--can I make up my hours somehow since the library is closed for President's Day?

Finally I put out the cones, call our janitorial service, etc. I forestall any interruptions from coworkers by raising my hand and calling out "I'm dealing with the poop!"

It's 3:15 and I was supposed to be on the information desk at 3:00. Immediately when I get to the desk, someone would like to put up her flyers on our community events bulletin board and wants my permission. Sorry, despite current appearances, I don't actually run this library.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, how do you even keep track of what you're supposed to be doing? Its great to be needed, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dealing with poop IS the worst

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you run the library, you just don't "run" the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are supposed to have an informal rotation for taking care of really icky things like that, but one librarian always seems to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you seem to do all the things

    ReplyDelete