Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Today's consulting firms

If I could save up the money to hire a software developer, I'm 100% confident that I could create a better product for computer management and patron printing than Envisionware, which currently dominates the public library market.*

After shelving in a little-used area, I'm also considering expanding my hypothetical weeding business to encompass all kinds of discarding. We will also take down all your posters advertising programs and services that no longer exist, recycle your cupboard full of outdated electronics, and toss out all the mysterious objects filling up the drawers at the service desk that each employee is afraid to trash since she worries it belongs to someone else. The more that I think about it, the more I would happily provide that service at cost.

*Also, I'm 95% confident that I could create a company that's better to work at, too. I did a Google search for "envisionware problems" to see if I could find a good illustration for this post, and the first hit is its Glassdoor page, showcasing its 1-star review average.

4 comments:

  1. UGH. People who won't throw anything away are one of my pet peeves. It's a huge problem in shared spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I worked with you! At Small Town Library I sent a weekly email with pictures of weird stuff I found in our office that I wanted permission to get rid of, but I think at Mystery Library my coworkers wouldn't tolerate that.

      Delete
  2. You could be some kind of superhero weeding character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my absolute dream! Seeing a shelf of relevant books in good shape neatly lined up after a careful weed is one of the most satisfying parts of my job.

      Delete