Friday, July 13, 2018

Serious weeds, serious Legos

I have been inventorying our non-fiction collection and finding a lot of junk. Today I weeded:



Image result for star trek companion book 

Image result for hispanic firsts book 1997 

Image result for how to find anyone anywhere 

In better news, I covered a Lego program (maybe 'program' is a strong word for dumping three boxes of Legos out on a table) and spent the whole hour listening to/chatting with a kid who had to update me on everything he was building, 100% in Spanish. He was into everything being cute and little--in Spanish, you can add "ita" or "ito" to the end of a word to mean it is little and cute, so instead of a casa (house) he made a casita, instead of a carro (car), he made a carrito, etc. I love talking to kids in Spanish because I can be really un-selfconscious--they don't care about my bad grammar or the fact that I can't roll my rs. Also, I learn a lot about the imperative tense from preschool age children.


6 comments:

  1. lol! kids would be the best way to learn imperatives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting good at "give me" and "look at ___"!

      Delete
  2. that How to Find Almost Anyone book looks super helpful, like "go to the information SUPERHIGHWAY." "Type in altavista.com and press enter. then type in the name of the person"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh inappropriately in our very quiet breakroom.

      Delete
  3. oh, c'mon, that Star Trek book isn't even 30 years old yet ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can amuse kids with my attempts to speak Spanish. It's my superpower.

    ReplyDelete