Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Mystery Library in brief

This is the busiest library job I've ever had (I think a past retail job edged this one out by a little bit) and I know the blog is suffering. I'm also working on a professional project that, ironically, I won't be sharing here since it will be linked to my real identity, and I really appreciate having anonymity on this blog. I feel like I can be honest about both the good and the bad of my employers since it's not reflecting on them.

Anyway, since it's been a while, here's a lightning round update of the goings-on at Mystery Library:

Computer things people have been struggling a lot with lately:
-Number lock
-The '@' sign (what it is, how to refer to it, and how to make it appear on the screen)
-Where to plug in a flash drive

The ESL teacher came by the front desk and said "Weird question, but does anyone have a bag of hot Cheetos?" Sadly it was a really busy shift and I never got a chance to find out the context.

No cereal in the parking lot this week. I hope the Cereal Leaver is okay. I really hope they finally decided to stop littering cereal.

Two different Hispanic toddlers pointed at the World Cup logo on our soccer display and exclaimed "Mexico!" 

A man brought in a balloon and tied it to the chair he was sitting in. Somehow it popped and he was really mad.

I cleaned several pistachio shells off of a shelf in the Large Print section.

I live in fear that someday while raising or lowering the flag outside the library (the pole is not lit at night so the flag code says it should come down each evening) that I'll touch the flag to the ground and horrify some patriotic Texan. I was starting to think I was overcautious, but then last week I noticed one of our patrons stop on the way out and salute while I lowered the flag at sunset.

A real live princess (a 20-something woman with a brilliant smile and as much patience as she had makeup) came for a tea party program, and I got to see some kids having the greatest day of their lives so far.

4 comments:

  1. I swear we are so short-staffed with vacations and sick leaves we are leaving the pistachio shells on the shelves

    ReplyDelete
  2. a real live princess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a commoner in a Cinderella outfit, really, but for some reason it seemed much cooler than having someone in one of those mascot suits.

      Delete