Saturday, January 18, 2020

Lucy

There's a woman who often comes into the library, walks past the front desk while shouting to herself, and walks back out before you can shush her. Lately she's been staying in the library longer and interacting with other people more--I'd noticed her talking to some other patrons (she apparently does have a normal-volume voice!) but I'd never interacted with her. Her name is Lucy, according to one of our other regulars.

One day earlier this week, we were having a problem with our cash drawer and couldn't do any money transactions, in which case we are generally allowed to just give things away. It's a hassle for us to have those capabilities down, but at least patrons are usually happy.

Lucy brought up three magazines from our book sale area, set them down on the desk, and said calmly to me "I'd like to buy these."I started to answer "I'm sorry, but we actually can't take money at the moment, so you can go ahead and just take--" She shouted "Oh HELL no!" and stormed out of the library, shouting to herself the whole time and leaving the magazines behind on the counter.

2 comments: