Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Data I wish I had

At Walnut Bluff and Mystery Library, I find time to ponder all sorts of mysteries I never spent time thinking about in other library systems where I've worked, because only Current System is so poor/stingy that I end up doing tasks that give me lots of time to think, like:
 Anyway, while I was chopping legal-sized color paper down into letter-sized sheets (you've got to stretch your office supply budget how you can!) I thought of some data I wished I had that I don't, such as:
  • The average (or median) 'lifespan' of a library book: how long between the date it arrives at the branch to the date it is either lost/stolen or withdrawn?
  • How much being put on a face-out display stand helps a book's circulation. Does it make it twice as likely to circulate in a given month? Ten times as likely? Does it matter what section/kind of book it is?
  • How many unique individuals come into the library each day? (We have a door counter, but it's skewed by the guy who is on the computer for 5 hours every day but goes out every 15 minutes for a smoke break, and by my staff, who for some reason love checking the drop box out front and empty it like 10 times a day.)
  • How many rolls of toilet paper do we go through per month? What about printer paper and receipt paper? How much money are we spending on that stuff?
More things to worry about.   

5 comments:

  1. At my library, our motto should be "no decisions shall be based on real world data"

    ReplyDelete
  2. But remember, there's no point in having data if you're not going to be able to make decisions based on it. See my article "Weighing the Pig" https://archives.library.illinois.edu/erec/AALL_Archives/8501111a/news/Spectrum0011.pdf MR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this article (2000! Still relevant, but the magazine design is such a blast from the past!) and would love to make the administrators of almost every library system I've worked in read both it and the book by Hernon that you cited.

      That said, I haven't gone mad enough with power to impose it on my staff, but I have definitely diagnosed myself with 'statistical megalomania.' I know the cost of collecting the data may outweigh the 'objective' value of knowing the numbers, but gosh darnit, I WANT to know them aaaaall!

      Delete
    2. secretly I want to know all the things too, so I sympathize MR

      Delete