Sunday, August 5, 2012

Welcome to the blog!

Because it is more important than anything else, first a disclaimer: This blog is not intended as a critique of the library system or city where I work. I will not use anyone’s name or identifying information without his or her explicit permission. If you have concerns about privacy or about anything else related to the blog, please let me know and I will address them immediately.

I hope that’s taken care of, at least for now.

Anyway. I'm trying to keep this blog from becoming narcissistic, which blogs seem to have a HUGE risk of. I will try to keep in mind that it was created with three purposes:

First, to provoke a discussion (not a lecture from a soapbox) about the purpose of public libraries and how they do or should go about fulfilling that purpose. I think anyone in our society is qualified to have an opinion on this, and this means you! I encourage you to add your thoughts via comments.

Second, to talk about the ethics of being an information provider. Again, I think everyone is qualified to have an opinion on this.
 
Third and lastly, to share some anecdotes, mostly lighthearted, from a mid-size library branch located in a large metropolitan area in Texas.
 
If I knew of a way to make this a more discussion-friendly forum, I would. I am new to the career of librarianship (for those of you who don't know, I'm currently a paraprofessional) and I need your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment