Friday, March 8, 2013

Crowdsourcing attempt of the week

This is my problem. I've tried looking on a few different library blogs and I've tried some different Google searches, but I haven't found anything:

I often come across a DVD that is fairly scratched up. I want to know whether to put that DVD back on the shelf or send it to be repaired or withdrawn. However, I want to do that without playing the entire DVD in order to see how much damage the scratches actually represent. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell by looking at a DVD if it is sufficiently damaged not to play well, or at least to make an educated guess?

Thanks, world!

2 comments:

  1. I checked with the smart people at a certain librarian community, and got this response so far:
    From what I gather, if (a) you can hold the disc up to light and see the light through the scratches/gouges or (b) it's got circular scratches going all the way around the disc, you've basically got yourself a coaster. Circular scratches might be able to be resurfaced in a professional resurfacing machine, not the cheaper buffing machines so many libraries have that do take care of lesser scratching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is very helpful. And thanks to the people in a certain library community as well!

      Delete