Thursday, May 25, 2017

A book detection victory

At Small Town Library this morning:


Patron: Sorry in advance, this is a stupid question.
Me: Believe me, it's fine. There are no stupid...
Patron: Is there a way to look up a book if you remember things about it, but not the title or the author?
Me: My first suggestion would be to find a librarian and tell them everything you remember and we'll see if we can find it.
Patron: Okay. It was from a dog's point of view and I think the guy is a repo man and he stumbles across a mystery and then has to solve it.
Me: I have a few ideas! It could be one of a few books by W. Bruce Cameron. He has a series about a repo man who has a dog, the dog isn't the narrator but he's definitely a character in the story, and then he has some other books from dogs' points of view. It also might be this mystery series that is definitely written from the dog's point of view, they're by Spencer Quinn and I think the most famous one is called "Dog On It"...
Patron: I think that first one sounds familiar!
It was The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man by W. Bruce Cameron, and I looked like a wizard to the patron. I ruined the mystique a little bit by confessing that I'd listened to the book within the last year, but I couldn't help it because that book is soooo good* and I couldn't stand giving up a chance to tell someone how excellent it is.


*If you're going to listen to the audio like I did, I actually suggest you listen to the sequel, Repo Madness, because I personally thought the narrator was much better, but if you're going to read it they are both excellent.

3 comments:

  1. Booyah!! Librarians FTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Librarians should get a star in heaven every time we say there are no stupid questions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never the people who are aware of the possibility that their question is stupid who ask the stupid questions.

      Delete