Sunday, May 20, 2018

Supply wish list

A few weeks ago I went to a community resource fair and spent a frustrating couple of hours watching Hispanic-looking people pass my white self by and stop to talk in Spanish to the people on either side of me, both of whom were Hispanic-looking as well. I am confident I look friendly (possibly too friendly) and I was also giving away candy, so I suspect this is because I don't look like I speak Spanish. I realized that I really, really need an "hablo espaƱol" button that I can wear to stuff like this, and I am going to ask my boss if the library will buy me one (not that it would be pricey, but I feel strongly about library staff not being expected to pay for the things they need to do their jobs).

Have you ever come across a weird supply or tool that you needed for your library work, something that couldn't be added to the standard Demco or Office Depot order? I'm curious!

6 comments:

  1. There was a weird guy at my old library who wanted us to buy Luminol, to show up blood and other stains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa. I think everyone involved would wish they could un-see the results of Luminol in the library.

      Delete
    2. I know right?

      Delete
  2. We want breath mints to give to our patrons, but our keeper of the purchasing orders says no

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! I think that would be a nice thing!

      Delete
  3. Steve has a button maker if they won't buy you one.

    ReplyDelete