Saturday, December 15, 2012

Favorite patron of the day

So it's only 11 a.m. and I spent the first hour and a half of the day helping with a computer class, but I can say with confidence that I have already had the day's best customer.

A very old man called the library and even though I was at children's I ended up catching his reference call. He wanted to confirm the definitions and spellings of:

centanerian
nonagenarian
octogenarian
septuagenarian
sexagenarian

He apparently had all this information saved on his computer (one of my many favorite old people things is old people who are only moderately computer-literate but use computers for everything) but lost it in a crash.

He was so excited I could help him and he kept saying "All you girls at the library are so smart, thank you so much for helping me, this is great, have a great day."

I spent all morning talking to people who had not grown up with computers, were just learning how to use them, and were absolutely floored by their potential and power.Working in a public library is a great place to be reminded of how awesome (in both senses of the word) it is to live in the modern first world.

1 comment:

  1. I don't get to see that much at my job, but it is still satisfying to show people how to do something that they didn't know how to do before...

    ReplyDelete