Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Median vs. mean as a measure of collection age

Earlier this year Mary Kelly (of Awful Library Books) wrote a really interesting piece about statistical analysis of collections on her blog The Practical Librarian (the original article, "Another Baby Step in Collection Analysis," can be found here). I thought it was quite useful except that it covered the average age of collections without talking at all about median age. I wrote a comment to that effect and now she has written a follow-up collection analysis post that does discuss the use of median age. The actual important things about this post are that first, it is very useful, and second, it is a good, concise explanation of the difference between mean and median. The self-important thing is that the post mentions my name and this blog! Mary is a pretty big deal in the public library world so it's sort of like an aspiring writer giving a suggestion to Neil Gaiman and him saying he thinks it's a good idea. I am pretty excited.

I know the audience of this blog is mostly non-library, but in case you are interested in truly professional librarian blogs, along with The Practical Librarian I would also recommend you check out The Swiss Army Librarian by Brian Herzog.

Awful Library Books and, of course, Love the Liberry remain my favorite blogs for library humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment