Thursday, March 8, 2018

Cookie monster

As I mentioned, I've been 'in charge of the building' a lot lately. Due to various issues, it ends up feeling like being a substitute manager more than just the person who gets called if a rude patron demands to speak to the person in charge. I am getting a real taste of what management must be like in bad times. I was thinking about what to write to indicate how busy I was, and what I settled on is simple: Not once, but twice, I have stuck a cookie in my cardigan pocket to hide it while I go help someone on the public floor.

It's not enough to be so busy you're eating at your desk. It's got to be so busy that you're eating at your desk and you get interrupted so often that you don't even stop to put your food down when it happens.

Source: https://amig0.livejournal.com/84449.html


4 comments:

  1. Is your library that small that you end up doing everything when the boss is out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my coworkers are just so unmotivated/afraid of making mistakes/lacking confidence that they turn to the person in charge for everything that isn't super straightforward. :(

      Delete
  2. yeah, and count how many times you try to resume eating whatever you had, and get interrupted again

    ReplyDelete