Thursday, August 8, 2019

I guess it worked out

Me answering the phone yesterday evening: Walnut Bluff Library, this is Emma, how can I help you?
Patron: Hello…you just called me?
Me: I’m sorry, I’m not the person you spoke to. Do you remember who called?
Patron: I didn’t talk to anyone, I just saw this number had called and I called back.
Me: Okay, did they leave a message?
Patron: No, I just called back. Do I owe y’all money?
Me: I doubt it. My best guess is that something is here and ready for you to come and get it. Let me just look up your account and see.
Patron: [tells me her name]
Me: Um, you don’t owe us any money, and you don’t have anything checked out. I don’t see any requests on your account either. Maybe we have something in our lost and found that belongs to you. Have you been to the library recently?
Patron: No, not in ages.
Me: Well, I’m so sorry about that. I don’t know why we would have called you.
Patron: I guess just to remind me that you are still there.
Me: Again, I’m sorry for disturbing your evening. Thanks for calling us back. As long as I have you on the phone, is there anything we can do for you?
Patron: Actually, can you request “Sybil” with Sally Field?
Me: Yes, ma’am!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the next outreach should be cold-calling everyone in your area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? (Ugh that would be my nightmare though!)

      Delete
  2. Ah, the lady who denies she had any contact with the library wants to check out the movie about the woman with multiple personalities....

    ReplyDelete