Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Out of contorl

One of the things I always do at a new library, since I do so much computer help, is log on to one of our computers just like a patron would and try things out, just to get an idea of what the patron experience is like. I try to predict common issues that I will see by doing things like choosing the Windows "log off" button instead of the library's computer management "end session" button, trying to save files to weird places, and so forth.


Usually it's not immediately obvious that anything in particular will be an issue, but I logged on to the computer at Mystery Library and I noticed that the volume control icon on the desktop had somehow been relabeled "volume contorl."

9 comments:

  1. it takes a good imagination to think of what patrons are going to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, or experience. But they always come up with some new weird thing that I could never have predicted.

      Delete
  2. HOW does that even happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they have some kind of global image where changes to it affect all the public PCs, and someone changed the default name of the desktop shortcut. I like to think it was because the original one was something unhelpful and they were trying to change it to "Volume control," but who knows.

      Delete
  3. don't let our IT people hear about that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the computers at the library I work at have Google Chrome labeled as "Google Chrome" while others have them labeled "Crome"... which always makes me think of an old crone.

    ReplyDelete