Monday, March 11, 2019

Food rules

My library, like many public libraries, is a city department, and one of the things that means in this case is that we have to follow a lot of health/safety-related rules in our programs. One of them is that we can only serve pre-packaged food at library programs. That's usually not an issue since we never have money to buy food, so normally we don't serve food at all. However, we have a craft program that is run by a volunteer, who loves to buy food with her own money and bring it in. It's very nice of her, but I am constantly in a battle with her about following the pre-packaged rule and other food ordinances. To be honest I'd probably let it go in other circumstances, but she and the people who attend her program always leave a huge food mess behind, so this is part of my strategy in trying to make bringing food so inconvenient that she will stop and then my staff and I won't have to clean up after the program anymore.

Last week I was wiping down the tables in the program room where her craft program takes place and saw that someone had put a banana in the trash can.  My coworker was in there setting up for the next event and so I rolled my eyes and said "[Coworker], the craft volunteer brought in bananas this week!" Without looking up from what she was doing, my coworker just shrugged and said "Would you say a banana is 'pre-packaged,' at least?"

4 comments:

  1. prepackaged by God, no less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. banana peels smells make me want to throw up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this volunteer not know that they're supposed to clean up all their messes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she knows. But none of the previous managers seem to have enforced any rules, so I am trying to overcome two years of bad habits.

      Delete