Thursday, June 27, 2019

Spanish-speaking

About half of Walnut Bluff's patrons speak Spanish at home, so I've been getting a LOT of practice ever since I transferred up here. One of my proudest moments this month was Chatty Security Guard telling me that I don't have an accent. However, I've recently begun to realize how silly I sound now that my accent has so far surpassed my vocabulary. I now sound like a friendly but somewhat mentally-impaired person who maybe doesn't have very good verbal comprehension. The long pauses while I slowly process everything the other person says don't help. With English-speaking patrons, I can chat while doing routine tasks, but I can't really say more than "hello," "please" and "thank you" in Spanish without having to devote the majority of my attention to it.

These are the kinds of conversations I have when one of my bilingual coworkers isn't on the desk with me:

Me: Ready?
Patron: Yes, I'd like to check these out please.
Me: One moment...[long, awkward silence]..okay, the day you needs to bring these back is the 5th of July. Would you like a receipt?
Patron: Yes, please. [takes books and walks away]
Me: Okay! Thank you for going to the library! 

Patron: I need the form to reserve a meeting room, please.
Me: Nice to meet you. [inappropriately long pause] Do you have your ID?
Patron: [hands it over patiently]
Me: Thank you, is this the address where you live today?
Patron: Yes.
Me: Thank you...okay, please to fill out this paper.
Patron: Sure, can I borrow a pen?
Me:...Sorry, say that again please?
Patron [patiently, pointing]: Can I borrow a pen, please?
Me: Yes, here it be, I am sorry!

Me (making an announcement over the PA system): [English] Good afternoon, everyone. At this time we'd just like to remind you that we have a science activity for children starting in the program room at 2 p.m. All kids are welcome to join us. [Spanish] Good afternoon. Kids, if you want to do a science project, they can come to the program room in justsome minutes. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Bless you for doing your best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anything we can do to be more inclusive, is great!

    ReplyDelete