Monday, June 10, 2019

I see the logic

Like a lot of libraries/rec centers/etc. in working-class communities, my library participates in a program where we serve lunch to kids during the summer. The idea is to help out families who rely on free/reduced school lunch during the year and might have a rough time feeding their school-aged kids over break. These programs are funded by the department of agriculture and they have a ton of rules. In Texas, one of those rules in that the kid has to eat the lunch in the room you serve it in and can only take fruit and whole grains with them. As you can imagine, this confuses the heck out of six- and seven-year-olds. I served my first 'summer lunch' last week and had this conversation:
Kid: Can I take my cheese with me? Can I take my milk with me?
Me: Sorry, I know these rules don't make a lot of sense, but you can only take your apples with you.
Kid: Why?
Me: Well, we get our food from the government and they have a lot of rules that we have to follow.
Kid (thinks for a minute): Well, that makes sense. Milk makes a mess. If you took it with you, you might spill it on the government's stuff, and they wouldn't want that.
Me: Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad our library doesn't have to mess with rules like that, I just know we'd break them all the time

    ReplyDelete