Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Kid(Librarian)s today

One of our library locations, which I'm going to call Airport Branch due it being in a flight path which drives me crazy every time I work a shift there, is getting a 'digitizing lab.' It has machines for converting VHS tapes to DVDs, for making MP3s from cassette tapes, etc. It's supposed to go along with our local history and genealogy collection. It's a cool idea.

Since I'm the technology librarian for our system, I'm helping the newly-hired Adult Services librarian at the branch get the lab set up. One of the challenges we've been having with getting the lab ready is finding materials that staff can practice with--since I'm 35, I don't have a collection of home movies or much in the way of film negatives for us to play with. So I've been looking around at used bookstores, antique shops, etc. and grabbing any good examples I come across.

Recently I went to an antique store and found some SLIDES. I was so excited! I sent them over to my colleague at Airport Branch. It's worth mentioning at this point that this librarian JUST got her MLS and this is her third library job and first professional position. She's appallingly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I don't know how old she is but basically all I do is crush her dreams. She wrote back to me:

"Thank you for the tiny pieces of film!"

This is as bad as when I found the old overhead projector transparencies

2 comments:

  1. lol! as an aging librarian I can relate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the antique store employees are still talking about someone buying the slides

    ReplyDelete