Sunday, October 23, 2022

My age is transparent

My predecessor at New Library was, like many librarians, a hoarder. So much so that 18 months into my tenure at New Library I am still going through her old files and shredding stuff. This week I found two boxes of transparencies in her file cabinet. New Library has an email list for all the staff that plan programs, and I know people use transparencies for art projects and stuff, so I thought I'd email the list and see if anyone wanted them. Because there are people on that email list who are 15 years younger than I am, I included a brief explanation of what transparencies are, figuring that some of the programmers didn't go to school in the overhead projector era. The message netted me two responses claiming the transparencies, and two responses from colleagues my own age complaining about how I made them feel old.

Just wait until our technology lab opens and we have to explain to our 18-year-old shelvers what a "real-life save icon" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment