Saturday, February 9, 2019

In better news

Some good/funny things happened at Walnut Bluff this week too:

We recently got a new paper towel dispenser in our women's bathroom--the lock broke on the old one and people kept stealing the roll of towels out of it. Our custodian normally refills the towels and toilet paper as the last thing she does in the morning before she leaves for the day. The first day with the new dispenser, she came to get me and said she could not for the life of her figure out how to put towels in the new dispenser--well, when I say "said," it was mostly communicated by gestures since she doesn't speak very much English and I don't speak very much Spanish that isn't library-specific. I went to take a look at it and, despite the pictorial instructions, was equally stumped. Finally we had to go get a third person, who doesn't speak any English, and he spent about 15 minutes wrestling with it, with the custodian and me looking over his shoulder and offering suggestions in two languages. As we triumphantly came back to the desk, the librarian who was waiting for patrons to come in raised her eyebrow and said "How many librarians does it take to change a lightbulb?"

I was pretty obviously having a rough day one day this week and was in my office working on something. One of my favorite coworkers knocked, handed me a Sandra Boynton board book called Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!, said "I bought this from the donations for you, you seemed like you could use it" and walked back out without another word.

Someone left their cake behind in the library. We kept it in the lost and found for the rest of the day, but no one came back for it. A fierce debate raged about whether to toss it or eat it, but in the end cautious, sensible heads prevailed and we threw it out untouched.

5 comments:

  1. Boynton is good for cheering up, how nice of your coworker

    ReplyDelete
  2. at our library, a couple of the staff WILL eat food left behind by patrons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMFAO, we are just waiting for them to get food poisoning

      Delete