Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Mystery of the lost scooters

Before we open in the morning someone has to go out and put up the U.S. and Texas flags and empty the book drop that is outside the front door of the library. It can be a pain because there are often patrons lurking in the lot trying to get you to help them before the library opens.

I was out emptying the drop this morning and two guys in hi-viz jackets inside a transit van pulled up next to me. The van was just white--no company markings. A pet peeve of mine is that city contractors often show up outside library opening hours and expect to be let in even though we haven't been notified by the city that they are coming, so I mentally rolled my  eyes, expecting this to be that. They guys rolled down the window and we had this conversation:

Me: Hi, can I hep you?
Guys: Hi, we're from Uber and our app says there should be two Uber scooters here.
Me: Okay. We don't open until ten o'clock, but when people bring scooters we usually ask them to leave them on the bike rack right over there.
Guys: *Just stare at me from their truck*
Me: *Walks over to check the bike rack, hoping they'll get the hint* Well, it looks like there aren't any over here...
Guys: Well, our app says they are inside the building. 
Me: Well, I don't think so, but you're welcome to come back at ten and check, just in case. 

The guys drove away and I went back to emptying the drop. As I was finishing up, I heard someone calling "Miss? Miss? Could you come over here for just a second?" and looked up to see that the guys had parked across the alley, opposite the staff entrance to the library. I walked over there and prepared to tell them firmly that no, I would not let them into the staff area to look for their scooters, but then they pointed at our HVAC room, which has a separate entrance next to the staff door.

Uber guys: The app says the scooters are in there...
Me: I really don't think so. That is our HVAC room and the public isn't allowed in there.
Guys: *Stare at me expectantly*
Me: Later today I can check in there, just in case...on the off-chance that I find one, what do you want me to do with it?
Guys: Just, um, put it outside?
Me: Okay, I'll do that later.

And I stared at them until they finally drove away.

(I kind of kick myself for even doing this, but I really did check the HVAC room for scooters. Unsurprisingly, there weren't any in there.)

4 comments:

  1. mystery of the defective Uber app, more like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely my first guess, but one of my coworkers suggested that it was possible that someone had figured out how to remove the trackers from the scooters and tossed the trackers on the roof, which seemed possible as well.

      Delete
  2. I hope they don't keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came again this week! But they left me a supervisor phone number to call, so at least now I know what to do if they come again.

      Delete