Sunday, November 17, 2019

Kids at outreach

We set up a table at a nearby elementary school's "Literacy Night" recently to talk to families about the public library. The kids were given some sort of literacy-based scavenger hunt to do for the evening, plus a bunch of sugary foods.

A pack of tween girls run at full tilt past the table. The girl in the back of the pack is complaining: "I didn't mean run literally!" 

"Are you here all the time?"

Six-year-old apparently all alone, no parent and no ID: "Hello. I'd like to sign up for the library, please." 

Different kid: Can I have a library card?
Me: If your mom or dad comes to tell me it's okay and answers a few questions--
Kid: No, I know I can't sign up for an account by myself. I just want one of the plastic cards even if it's not connected to anything. They look cool.

"Wow! I saw you before! You got me some movies!"

A young boy walks back and forth past my table a few times, each time very carefully balancing a styrofoam cup of cocoa. Then I see him skip past a little bit later, and he says, happily, "I finished my hot chocolate, so now I can run free!"

2 comments: